Friday, April 10, 2009

The Easter Answer


The Easter Answer

Edith always introduced herself by saying, "Hello, my name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and often, people would pray to receive Christ.

Edith was Doctor Will Phillip's favorite patient. After a series of tests, the doctor said, "You have cancer, and you're not going to live long. " Edith said, "Why are you so sad? You just told me I'm going to see my precious Lord Jesus, my husband, my friends. I am going to celebrate Easter forever, and here you are having trouble giving me my ticket!"

A few months later Edith called Dr. Phillips from the hospital. "Will, I'm very near home, so would you make sure that they put women in my room who need to know about Easter?" The doctor agreed, and as a result, many women came to know Christ. Everyone loved Edith except the head nurse, Phyllis Cross, who had been a nurse in an army hospital and was tough as nails. Phyllis thought Edith was just a "religious nut". One morning Phyllis had to give Edith a shot. Edith smiled and said, "Phyllis, God loves you and I love you, and I have been praying for you." Nurse Cross snapped, "Well, you can quit praying for me. I'm not interested." Edith said, "I have asked God not to let me go home until you come into His family." Phyllis quipped, "Then you will never die, because that will never happen, " and stormed out of room.

Days later Phyllis said she was strangely drawn to Edith's room and sat down on her bed. Edith said, "I'm so glad you have come, because God told me that today is your special day. " Phyllis said, "Edith, you have asked everybody here the question, 'Do you believe in Easter?' but you have never asked me." Edith said, "Phyllis, I wanted many times, but God told me to wait until you asked me first, and now you have ... "

Edith took her Bible and shared with Phyllis about the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. Edith asked, "Do you believe that Jesus is alive and that He wants to live in your heart?" Phyllis answered, "I want to believe with all my heart, and I do want Jesus in my life." Right there, Phyllis prayed and invited Christ into her heart.

Four days later, which was amazingly enough, Easter Sunday, Phyllis came into work, bringing Easter lilies for Edith. When she walked into the room, Edith was laying with her hands in her Bible, a sweet smile on her face. She realized Edith was gone. Her left hand was on John 14: 2-4. Her right hand was on Revelation 21 : 4. Phyllis lifted her face toward heaven, with tears streaming down her cheeks, and said, "Happy Easter, Edith , Happy Easter!"

She walked out of the room, over to a table where two student nurses were sitting, and said, "Hi, my name is Phyllis Cross. Do you believe in Easter?"

Look up the last two Scriptures Edith read, John 14: 2 - 4 and Revelation 21: 4.

How about you? Do you believe in Easter? If you don't, today can be your day. If you do, share with someone today with Easter means to you - and what it can mean to that person.

1 comment:

  1. Ivan: This story of Edith really touched me 7 reminds me of no matter how tough,how hardened a person's heart is,they are still defenseless against the Gospel & our prayers =).So,lets share with someone about Easter today!

    ReplyDelete