Tuesday, July 28, 2009

So High & Solo (week 14)


A contractor working by himself was injured while trying to demolish a brick chimney that was on top of a four-story building. This is his testimony: "After tearing down the chimney, I thought I would get the bricks down in one load myself. I rigged a rope and bucket o a pulley and hoisted the bucket up to the roof and tied off the rope at the sidewalk. I then walked up four flights of stairs to the roof and loaded all of the bricks into the bucket. I returned to the sidewalk and untied the rope.

"I weighed 140 pounds and the bucket of bricks weighed about the 500 pounds. I began to ascend rapidly in an upwardly direction, Failing to think clearly at a moment like this, I didn't let go of the rope. Halfway up, I met the bucket of bricks on their way down and this accounts for the cuts and bruises on my upper part body.

"Falling to stop my ascent, the bucket of bricks continued downward at an increasing rate of speed, I quickly reached the top and my hand hit the pulley, breaking my thumb. The bucket of bricks hit the sidewalk. The force of the impact caused the bottom to break, spilling the bricks, This action now sent me heading in a downward direction rapidly. Approximately halfway down, I again intersected with the now-empty bucket, breaking both ankles. I landed on the pile of bricks on the sidewalk that caused three cracked three ribs and mutiple other injuries.

"Regaining my senses, I finally let go of the rope. This caused the bucket to return downward to my exact location resulting in a concussion.

"The moral of my story? Don't try to do big jobs by yourself! Get help from others."

Read and memorize Ecclesiastes 4 : 9 - 10.

Today's story is one of those painful, yet comical stories of what can happen when we fall down and have no one to help us up. Everyone enjoys time alone and we all differ on how much we need, but God made us with a built-in need for each other.

As a Christian, it is vitally important that you have a circle of Christian friends for support, accountability, and encouragement. Write down the names of those friends in your journal. Pray for them regularly. If you don't have a strong Christian friend, pray daily that God will lead you to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment