Monday, October 26, 2009

Hold That Thought


A man recalling his eighth grade year said, "I hated my math teacher. He was an older gentleman who couldn't control the class, and in my opinion, couldn't teach math. One afternoon, I was visiting our next door neighbor, a family that had lived next to us years. There was a stranger in the house. My parents had taught me to be polite to strangers, but they didn't tell me to keep my mouth shut until I knew all the facts. My neighbor began asking me questions about school, and this led to questions about the math teacher. After giving my 10 reasons why this man should no longer be teaching, my neighbor informed me that the lady who was visiting was the teacher's sister. Ouch. Pain.. I spent the rest of the semester living in fear that my opinions had been passed on to Mr. Quinn. Every time I saw him I remembered how critical I had been."

When we put bits into the mouths of the horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set by on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sead are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. it is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. James 3 : 3 -8.

Most of us can relate to this man's story. When was the last time you got caught like that after "speaking your mind"?

The Holy Spirit is the only successful trainer in the battle to tame the tongue. Whether you struggle with gossip, criticism, negative talk, cursing, or cutting down others down, God can help you one day at a time, one issue at a time. Not only can He help you stop hurting with your tongue, He can help you learn to encourage and affirm others. Pray today about your own words and habits.



No comments:

Post a Comment